Enacts the “Medical Cannabis Act”; establishes medical cannabis commission for regulation of cannabis-related health care.
This is a far-reaching bill that would authorize and regulate the production, sale and use of marijuana for medical purposes. Among the provisions included are:
- Establishment of a commission that would be charged with regulating all aspects of the production, sale and use of marijuana to include licensing of facilities to produce or dispense marijuana;
- Voters of county or municipality may exercise a local option referendum on whether to allow the retail sale of medical marijuana in their jurisdiction;
- Generally, a licensed grower of marijuana may do so anywhere in the state, however, a county legislative body will have authority to prohibit such activity by opting the county out of this provision.
- Prior to purchase of marijuana an individual must first be approved as an authorized cardholder by the commission.
- Becoming an authorized cardholder requires that the person must first obtain certification from a physician of a diagnosis of one or more of the debilitating medical conditions that are outlined in the legislation, or as determined by the commission.
Dickerson in the Senate
Faison in the House
Passed House Criminal Justice Committee. No action taken in the Senate.